I have recently discovered the wonders of Pinterest. Please note that I did not say that I have recently discovered Pinterest itself, because I did that a few months ago when everyone started talking about it nonstop, and I immediately forbade myself from even looking at it. Why? Well, I knew, for me, that it would be like a pothead going to a Phish concert and being all "whatever, guys, I'm just going to listen to the music." That is to say, I would inhale. I would inhale all the awesome awesomeness of Pinterest and I would not stop inhaling it and eventually someone would find me, five weeks later, slack-jawed at my desk, and I would still be looking at pictures of DIY map chandeliers and navy-and-white striped shirts.
And I was really good about holding off, actually. Until last week, that is, when Amber sent me a link to something on Pinterest and, apropos of nothing, I could not take my self-imposed ban anymore, and I shouted ALRIGHT, I GIVE IN, DO YOU HAVE A SPARE INVITE? (I was also a little sniffy about having to be "invited" to look at pictures of DIY map chandeliers and navy-and-white-striped shirts, if we're honest.)
She sent me an invite, I signed up for an account, and that was basically the last anyone saw of me. For seven entire days.
Do you pinterest? (Yes, it's a verb now, I have decreed it. I pinterest, you pinterest, he/she/it pinterests.) What do you think? It's weirdly addictive, right? Oh look, here is a pretty picture of my dream life. And another one. And another one. Here is a craft I will save in a folder and probably never ever do, but damn, do I feel good pretending I'm going to. Here is a recipe that involves chocolate and/or caramel and/or s'mores and/or Twix bars, let me just add it to my—oh, I see I already did.
That said, I do enjoy Pinterest immensely, and I think the honeymoon period is over now, thank god, and I can pinterest in small doses, like the rest of the world—just for five minutes here and there without it consuming my entire life. For the most part, I've loved everything I've seen on the site and have managed to glean a fair bit of creative motivation, but my goodness, there sure are a lot of inspirational quotes out there, aren't there? And they're being pinterested hither and yon! Don't get me wrong, I like an inspirational quote as much as the next girl—may I remind you, after all, that I have this hanging over my bed—but I sort of think we might need to institute a mandatory college class soon if we keep going the way we're going. It will be called Just Because It's In A Cool Font, Doesn't Automatically Make It Profound, and I will be happy to teach it.
Out of curiosity the other day—once I had reached what I can only assume was the end of Pinterest—I decided to see if anyone had pinned anything of mine. Oh come on, you'd do it too: it's like googling yourself, except with fewer pictures of unfamiliar people who share the same name as you but live in Iowa. I did a little search to see if anyone had pinned anything from my site, and was strangely touched to see that there were a few things up there; namely, the Sixty Years of Memories project, my kitchen, the aforementioned DIY sign above my bed, our wedding invitations, and my tutorial for the tissue pompoms. Aw, you guys, that made me so happy! I'm pinterestable! Pinteresting! Thank you so much if you have pinned me. Wow, that was a weird sentence.
One last thought about Pinterest before I go, and that's this: it is.....well, it is kind of just for the ladies, right? Not officially or anything (the founder himself seems to be a man—well, unless he is a woman called Ben), but I don't think I'm following any guys on Pinterest and I don't think any are following me. In fact, a male friend of mine had a look at it a few weeks ago and didn't quite get what it was for. "I saw all these pictures of really hot girls," he said. "And so I thought it was a bunch of guys favoriting pictures of hot girls. But then I realized it was other girls favoriting pictures of hot girls, because they liked the way they did their hair."
Come to think of it, though, that maybe sums up, like, 90% of the Internet. The other 10% is cat videos.